Physical Education and Sport
Sport Premium Funding
At the start of the academic year 2013/14 we welcomed the Government’s announcement to provide ring-fenced funding to primary schools. This sport premium funding must be used to fund improvements to the provision of PE and sport, for the benefit of primary-aged pupils, to give them the opportunity to develop a healthy active lifestyle. At present Cholsey receives £8,000 plus £5 for every child in Years 1-6. This funding has now been extended.
At Cholsey, we plan to use this funding to ensure that all children have access to high quality PE lessons and engaging opportunities, which will promote a life long love of sport through enjoyment. In lessons, children will be given the opportunity to learn and develop the physical and tactical skills needed for lifelong participation in sport. We also aim to equip them with the knowledge and understanding of the importance of healthy living.
Our main use of the funding is our staff mentoring programme, which is overseen and run by the schools PE lead, Lauren Addison. The funding has been used for class cover so that she is able to work with and develop staff knowledge and confidence each week. Where appropriate, specialist coaches have been employed on a termly basis to provide additional mentoring in alternative sports and demonstrate how to make cross curricular links between PE and core subject learning.
At the start of the mentoring process, staff will discuss, with the PE lead, an area of the PE curriculum they would like support in delivering. The PE coordinator will then provide initial demonstration lessons for the staff in their chosen area, this will then progress to team teaching and finally the class teacher will take over and complete the unit of work. Discussions take place regarding differentiated PE activities to extend the most able pupils and support those finding PE a challenge. The importance of keeping children active for the majority of the lesson is highlighted alongside the use of small games to ensure maximum participation.
Please see our Sport Premium Funding slide show for more information PE Lead Presentation for website.pptx
What has been the impact of the Sports Premium funding so far?
The Sports Premium Funding has widely contributed to raising the profile of PE, School Sport and Healthy, Active Lifestyles at Cholsey. It has also:
- Improved the standards and delivery of PE across the school ensuring current and future pupils have access to high quality PE lessons
- Improved teachers' subject knowledge and confidence when teaching PE
- Raised the profile of Sport and PE across the school ensuring children develop a life long love of sport and physical activity
- Increased interest in extra curricular sports clubs and cemented local club links
- Enabled the PE coordinator to write a series of differentiated lesson plans for staff to gather ideas and adapt to their classes
- Improved links with other curriculum subject areas ensuring sport is embedded across the curriculum and engages all learners
- Improved awareness among pupils, staff and families of the importance of a healthy, active lifestyle through our dedicated HAL week.
- Given older pupils the opportunity to experience coaching younger children in a controlled environment
- Enabled the school to compete in many OPEN and Wallingford Partnership events
The staff at Cholsey are very positive about the PE coaching programme. Here is some of the feedback from staff explaining the impact it has had on their teaching...
“Just a quick thank you for your guidance on adapting the tag rugby games last term by separating out the different skills the children require to fully appreciate and participate in tag rugby games while being "all active together". This has really helped me ensure that our PE focus this term (rounders) has developed in the same way and I feel my pupils are "all active together" and therefore 'fitter' for it!”
“Thanks for your support in gymnastics. I will continue to make sure I use the terminology in our display work (as well as making sure, "all children active together"). I love your modelling and support. You're always so patient when I keep asking for help (probably for the same things!!! ) But the children really do benefit.”
"Since Lauren's coaching I feel much more confident to allow the children to keep moving and explore as much as possible and I trust the children to experiment and do what feels safe for them.”
For more information on the impact of our Sports Premium expenditure please see our 'Evidencing the Impact' documents on the links below:
Important Information and Links
Click here to visit the OPEN Sport and PE page.
Our PE Curriculum is outlined here
Our PE Development plan 16-17.docx for 2016-2017 is here.